If you've never had bucket brine -smoked turkey, you'll never want to have turkey any other way again! Your guests will love this easy to make ahead recipe. Start 3-4 days ahead and Thanksgiving dinner is a breeze!
1(12 lb) whole turkey
- 1 cup pickling salt
- 2 bag of Morton's tender quick
- 1 small bottle of liquid smoke
- 2 gallons or more of water
- Place your frozen turkey in a 5 gallon bucket, pour water in, until the turkey is fully covered.
- Add salt, tender quick and the bottle of liquid smoke.
- Place the bucket in the garage refrigerator or place outside in the snow for 2-4 days, allowing the turkey to soak in the delicious flavors. Larger turkeys will take more time to pull the brine to the center.
- After Soaking is complete. preheat your oven to 225°F.
- Remove the turkey from the brine and pat it dry with paper towels.
- Place the turkey in a roasting pot with lid or in a turkey bag in a pan.
- Allow to bake 6-10 hours
Once the turkey is baked, carefully remove it from the oven and let it rest for about 20-30 minutes before carving. This resting period allows the juices to redistribute throughout the meat, ensuring a moist and tender turkey.
Carve, serve, and enjoy your delicious smoked turkey with your favorite sides!
This smoked turkey recipe delivers a succulent and beautifully seasoned bird that will be the star of your next gathering.