Spice up your dinner with Skillet Chicken Fajitas! Bursting with bold flavors and tender chicken, this quick and easy recipe will transport your taste buds to the heart of Mexico. Load up your tortillas with sizzling fajitas and all your favorite toppings for a fiesta of flavors!
1/4 cup lime juice
1 garlic clove, minced
1 teaspoon chili powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
2 tablespoons olive oil, divided
1-1/2 pounds boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into strips
1 medium onion, cut into thin wedges
1/2 medium sweet red pepper, cut into strips
1/2 medium yellow pepper, cut into strips
1/2 medium green pepper, cut into strips
1/2 cup salsa
12 flour tortillas (8 inches), warmed
1-1/2 cups shredded cheddar cheese or Monterey Jack cheese
- Mix first 5 ingredients and 1 tablespoon oil.
- Add chicken; toss to coat. Let stand 15 minutes.
- In a large nonstick skillet, heat remaining oil over medium-high heat; sauté onion and peppers until crisp-tender, 3-4 minutes.
- Remove from pan.
- In same skillet, sauté chicken mixture until no longer pink, 3-4 minutes.
- Stir in salsa and pepper mixture; heat through.
- Serve in tortillas.
- Sprinkle with cheese.
- Spread fajita mixture evenly on trays lined with silicone mats. Make note of the weight of the trays with food.
- Process according to freeze-dryer instructions.
- When finished freeze-drying, note the weight of the trays. The difference in weight of the trays before and after freeze-drying is the recommended amount of water needed to reconstitute the dish.
Add recommended amount of hot water to fajita mixture. Stir and let sit a few minutes until fully reconstituted. More, or less, than the recommended amount of water can be added to get the desired consistency.