Indulge in the essence of fall with our irresistible Pumpkin Roll recipe! Delight in the perfect blend of moist pumpkin sponge cake and creamy, spiced filling that'll leave your taste buds craving more.
3/4 cup all-purpose flour
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
1 cup granulated sugar
3 large eggs
2/3 cup freeze-dried pumpkin- Get the recipe
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
8 ounces cream cheese , softened
2 Tablespoons butter , softened
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 cup powdered sugar , plus more for dusting
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Line a jelly roll pan (15 x 10'') with parchment paper, leaving an extra inch of parchment sticking up on both long sides of the pan so that you can easily lift the cake out after baking. (You can VERY lightly grease the parchment paper, if you want to, but you don't need to!)
- In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, salt, baking soda, cinnamon and pumpkin pie spice. In a separate bowl mix the eggs, sugar, vanilla and pumpkin until smooth.
- Add dry ingredients to the bowl and stir just until combined and no dry streaks remain.
- Spread the batter evenly in the prepared pan.
- Bake for 12-15 minutes until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Every oven is different, so watch it closely.
- Immediately lift the payment paper and hot cake out of the pan and onto a flat (heat-safe) surface.
- While the cake is hot, starting at one of the short ends, use your hands to gently and slowly roll the cake (and parchment paper!) all the way up. Allow it to cool completely, on top of a wire cooling rack. (This allows it to cool underneath the roll, and keeps the cake from sweating).
- While the cake roll is cooling, mix the cream cheese, butter, vanilla, and powdered sugar together with an electric mixer until it is fluffy and smooth.
- Once the cake roll is cooled completely, unroll it very carefully. Gently smooth the filling in an even layer over the cake.
- Roll up the cake without the parchment paper. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least 1 hour, before serving.
- Dust the top with powdered sugar, if desired. You could use a duster, spoon, or even your fingers to lightly sprinkle it on top of the roll. Cut into slices and serve.
- Store in the fridge, covered, for up to three days.
Pumpkin roll can be prepared completely and refrigerated for 1-2 days ahead of time, before serving. OR, you can bake the cake, roll it in the parchment paper to cool. Once cool, refrigerate it (rolled in the parchment paper) for up to one day, before frosting. Once you have fully assembled your pumpkin roll, you can also store it in the refrigerator for a few days!
Prepared pumpkin roll can be frozen for up to 2-3 months. Thaw overnight in the refrigerator before slicing and serving.